Pages

Monday 13 August 2012

Moment of success !

My moment of success was when I was about 9 years old. I had gone shopping in the mall at Manukau and entered a dance competition. Any age from 5-13 could join in. My mum thought it was a good idea for me to enter the competition. The dance had to be cultural and I knew a lot of cultural dances but my Nana told me to learn a new one for the competition.

We went to my aunty's house so she could teach me to dance. We had about 4 days till the competition so we had to practice fast. My aunty decided to teach me a cook island dance and I was familiar with the song so I could get the moves fast. I had to shake my hips a lot and it was tiring but I ould manage to do it.

I was nervous because I wondered if the other competitiors had a better dance than me and had a bigger chance of winning. I practiced every night and day. My costume was made the night before and it looked magnificent. I had a humongous skirt with big pointy leaves sticking out. I had a flowery outfit and it was stunning.

Then on the day of the competition. I went to the place where it was held with my mum and nana. I was going to get changed there so that was good. I watched lots of children walking into the hall and I started to get nervous. Everyone watched children dancing and they looked awesome but I think I had the best costume.

Almost 12 dances had been performed and after that, a lady walked up to the stage with a piece of paper and a microphone. She called out my name and said that it was my turn.I was so shy and nervous but my family came to watch and I wasn't quite shy anymore. As I walked up to the stage people started clapping for me and I could hear the voices of my family cheering for me.

Then everything went quiet and the song started playing. All I could think of was my dance and the song. I remember that my face started to fill with redness and my eyes started to water, but I kept on dancing and soon, everything was okay. When it was time for me to stop and shake, everyone started cheering and my nana walked up to the stage to dance around me even though she wasn't supposed to.

When I finished dancing I was smiling as everyone started clapping for me. There wasn't a big crowd but they sure did make a lot of noise. I walked off the stage loud and proud jumping around like a little bunny rabbit. My family ran up to me and said I did well.

Then, when all the dancers finished dancing, the judges walked up to the stage with a big and two little trophies. They were talking about how awesome each performance was, but there was just one person who stood out. They first announced the person who came third. It was a girl and everyone clapped for her. She was awarded the little trophy but she had a huge smile on her face for coming third.

Next, they announced the person who came second. My name was called out and my family started cheering and screaming. I walked up the stage with my costume on and smiling away. They awarded me a trophy and a certificate. My heart was beating so fast that I couldn't think at that moment.

When we went home, my family was congratulating me so much and I was just so proud of myself. The trophy is still in our wall unit and I look at it every time I walk pas it. The trophy reminds me of my sweet moment of success.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, tatiana that was such a moment of success!, it was a pleasure reading it. Keep the good work up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tatiana KAho.

    This must of made your family proud. Is there any photo's I would love to see theem. Reading this made me feel I was there. Very good writting! Chahoo

    from Shaye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was your mum there?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.